From Colonial Marines Wiki
Tools of the Trade
|Surgery Type:||Description: (What it fixes)||How to:||Target Zone:|
|Bone Repair Surgery||This surgery is used for mending broken bones and fractures.||->->->->->->||Everywhere besides the Eyes and Mouth.|
|Internal Bleeding Surgery||This surgery mends the torn/ripped arteries and veins within the body to stop internal bleeding. (Note that you can use quickclot to fix internal bleeding. This saves a lot of time, but be careful since it causes brute damage and bleeding which needs bandaging.)||->->->->||Everywhere.|
|Facial Reconstruction Surgery||This surgery fixes the facial deformities gained from combat.i.e Unknown as Squad marine.||->->->||Mouth.|
|Amputation||Removal of a limb or a limb stump.||Limbs: Legs, Arms, Hands, Feet.|
|Limb Replacement Surgery||The replacement of missing limbs with robotic ones. You can also reattach a robotic limb to just a hand or foot stump.||->->-> Now attach a robotic limb.||Limbs: Legs, Arms, Hands, Feet.|
|Internal Organs Surgery||Mending collapsed lungs and other broken organs.
|Eye Surgery||Mending the eyes. i.e Blindness||->->->||Eyes.|
|Foreign Object Removal||Removal of unknown objects from the body such as implants and shrapnel from bullets. (Steps in parentheses are only needed for chest and skull surgeries).||->->->(->)->->(->->->)||Everywhere besides the Mouth and Eyes.|
|Alien Embryo Surgery||The removal of an alien embryo.||->->->->->->->->||Chest.|
|Brain Damage Surgery||Fixing up the brain. The use of fix-o-vein depends if only there is severe brain damage. Otherwise getting rid of the bone chips with the hemostat should fix it.||->->->->->->->->->->||Head.|
|Organ Removal/Transplantation Surgery||Removing an organ from the body and transplanting a new organ.
||->->->->->->->New Organ->->()->->->||Chest and Head.|
Very often people will come in with multiple problems at once. For instance, you might have a patient who has a fractured skull, brain damage, and shrapnel in their head. Performing three separate surgeries is very time consuming when other marines may be waiting. It is possible to condense the surgery down to one in such a manner:
- Broken skull, brain damage, and head shrapnel removal surgery
- Cut an incision while aiming with 'Help' intent at the head
- Stop bleeders in the head
- Open up the incision for further surgery
- Cut through the skull
- Open up the skull
- Here it gets a bit tricky, use a hemostat repeatedly to pull out bone chips and shrapnel until you get a message that nothing more can be found in the brain. Both types of removal can take several rounds or attempts.
- Use the FixOVein and Trauma Kit to repair hematomas and damage to the brain and eyes if necessary
- Use the Health Analyzer to check that the patient does not have brain damage! If the patient still has brain damage go back and use the hemostat and FixOVein more until the Analyzer shows no brain damage.
- Close the skull back up
- Use bone gel on the damaged bones in the skull
- Piece together the broken or fractured skull
- Add bone gel once more
- Seal up the incision
- Use the Health Analyzer again to see if the patient needs antibiotics or anti-toxins and administer them as needed
What about an infected marine with a broken chest, internal bleeding, and a ruptured lung? Here you'll want to use medication from the vendors in medbay in order to tackle the problems at hand.
- Alien embryo removal, ruptured lung, and broken chest surgery (with a side of internal bleeding)
- First use one Quick-clot and one Dexalin Plus injectors to stop internal bleeding and to halt suffocation damage from the ruptured lung. While you can stop internal bleeding surgically, in the vast majority of cases a quick jab with Quick-clot is preferable. Keep a couple of Dex+ injector on hand to keep the patient from dying from the ruptured lung.
- Make an incision quickly
- Ignore bleeders and rearrange organs. Removing the larva ASAP is the top priority right now
- Cut open the rib cage
- Separate the rib cage
- Begin pulling out the alien embryo
- Repair the ruptured lungs and any other damaged organs, note that a mechanical heart requires to fix
- Now stem the bleeders with the hemostat
- Close up the rib cage
- One application of bone gel for the cut rib cage. Cut rib cages and skulls require one application of bone gel after they've been pushed back together.
- Set the broken bones in the chest
- An application for the set bones. In general remember that fixing a broken bone requires one application of bone gel before the setting and one after.
- Cauterize the incision, your patient should be recovering nicely now
- Again, use the Health Analyzer to double-check your work and to dispense spaceacillin or dylovene as needed
- Wash your hands to help reduce infection chance. A space cleaner bottle on yourself works too.
- Anesthesia is important to successful surgery, make sure to put a mask on the patient's face, an anesthesia tank on their back, and turn their internals on.
- If in a rush, you can give your patients ~30u of oxycodone for quick surgeries without anesthesia. You need to work quick though.
- Patients can often times tell you where they need surgery if an advance scanner is not available.
- Triage cases properly, alien embryo cases and lung ruptures take priority over brain damage cases which in turn take priority over simple bone fractures in limbs.
- Internal organ damage can oftentimes be fixed with peridaxon turning some surgeries into simpler, faster bone repair surgeries.
- Use the Health Analyzer to check for brain damage during brain surgery to confirm that you've fixed everything.
- Use the Health Analyzer to confirm that a patient's bone fractures are all gone after performing all required bone repair surgeries.
- Use the Health Analyzer to check for post-op infection that should be treated with spaceacillin.
- If no other options are available, roller beds and tables can be used to perform surgery.
- Basic Laser Scapels are available from research which are essentially faster scapels. Make sure to ask the researcher for them! An even better scapel is also available on the Planet somewhere too..
- Infected wound detected in subject [Insert Location Here]. Disinfection of wounds recommended means that the patient has a infected wound that needs to be treated with gauze/advanced brute kit, surgery and spaceacillin won't work at all.