From Colonial Marines Wiki
|Evolves From: Sentinel|
Evolves To: Praetorian
Role: Protect your fellow Xenomorphs with a corrosive acid spit, allowing you to damage hosts from a distance and deny areas or lanes of fire to them. Use your strong acid to quickly melt into places.
Guides: The Guardian Caste Guide
The Spitter is the next evolution of the humble Sentinel. Where it was mostly stuck on a defensive role, guarding nests and giving occasional support to other castes during combat, the Spitter can afford to go on the offensive, where its slower speed is counteracted by better health and a larger plasma pool, along with a stronger Corrosive Acid that will make short work of most fortifications.
The Spitter is defined by its new powerful Corrosive Spit. This ability to deal consistent damage at range defines the caste and leads it to becoming a foe to even the most careful Marines. At any time, the Spitter can also opt back to the Neurotoxin Spit it used to have as a Sentinel, allowing it to adapt to any situation.
Playing as a Spitter
While the Sentinel was limited to harassment at best, with the rare option of ambushing and killing a lone Marine, the Spitter can skirmish as well as the average Hunter. Its corrosive spit is a regular, reliable damage output that will generally cool down any Marine trying to engage in a gunfight. While you will still be in a bad position if under sustained fire, you have more of a reason to be at the front lines, as damaging the Marines will usually allow fights to go in the Hive's favor.
Hit and run tactics that the Sentinel employed shine for you. Since you are able to damage Marines from afar, you can easily weaken a Marine chasing you to the point where they are forced to disengage, least they simply die. In case this fails, you might still be able to make it out where a Sentinel would not have had due to your bigger health pool. However, do mind you are slower, so it's usually a smart idea to stick near fellow sisters in case you bite more than you can chew while flanking.
Your corrosive acid is another critical part of your presence in the Hive. While other castes may have acid like yours, and the Boiler's acid tops it all off, you will often be the caste best suited to apply some in dangerous situations. While you will approach a bit slower, you are less likely to go down to stray fire, lessening the risk of you dying while melting gear or defenses. Of course, if you have spare time, your acid can generally help shape buildings to fit the Hive.
|Used to rest and get up. Xenos heal faster when resting on weeds.|
|To devour, grab a host with Ctrl + Click or Grab intent (3 in hotkey mode) then click yourself, standstill. To stop the host from getting up and running away, you can switch to an empty hand (X in hotkey mode) and keep tackling them using Disarm intent (2 in hotkey mode) when you are devouring them. Beware the devoured will die in minutes due to the lack of oxygen, being seriously injured and going into pipes will further reduce the time to less than a minute. If the devoured is armed with a knife, they can cut their way out from the inside, gibbing you in the process. (Edit)|
|Vomit a glob of acid on item to dissolve it. Multiple items can be clicked at once as long as you are standing still. The cost of plasma is increased compared to other castes due to how the spitter has stronger corrosive acid.
Toggle Spit Type
|Allows you to switch between neurotoxic spit costing 50 plasma to fire or spitting acid which costs 100 plasma to fire.|
|Use middle mouse button to spit globs of neurotoxin or acid.|
- Spitters are less fit for ambushing and hit and run due to their slower speed. However, they can still do wonders if paired with another caste that can help distract or take the pressure off them while they run from an engagement with multiple Marines they can't hope to win.
- Remember to switch spits often even in combat situations. Neurotoxin is best to secure hosts for nesting and help a Runner or Hunter secure a kill on an exposed Marine. It can also occasionally serve to put the Marines a gun down while another caste moves in to do something. Acid is better if none of the above applies however, and should be used most of the time as it deals lasting damage.
- It is highly recommended that you don't chase after your own neurotoxin spits unless you are supported and there are no other Marines around to ruin your day. This is not your role anymore, you will do more good keeping that Marine down while another caste goes in to secure the kill.
- Acid spit can slowly damage barricades, turrets and even walls. As such, it can be used to slowly solve defensive deadlocks where an extremely entrenched perimeter proves too hard to even approach physically to melt with corrosive acid.
- While you are not as mobile as a Hunter, you stand a reasonable chance in a melee, especially if the Marines cannot focus fire on you. Just watch out for explosives, as they can easily be used to stop your frenzy.
Spitter Evolution and Upgrades
Spitter Upgrades are mostly focused on making them a terror for Marines during ranged skirmishes and stand-offs. Their health increases a bit, but their spit gains the greatest upgrade with a longer range for neurotoxin spit and greater damage for corrosive spit. This is coupled with an increased fire rate for both and an increased plasma pool and regeneration. An Ancient Spitter will be able to comfortably skirmish with two or even three Marines given even the slightest amount of cover, turning you into a dangerous foe.
Spitters can only Evolve into a Boiler:
- The Boiler is perhaps the greatest ranged caste the Hive can muster, shedding its ability to fight on the front lines with spit in exchange of bombarding the battlefield with large acid and neurotoxin globs, turning it into the Xenomorph's artillery. If a Marine defensive position ever gives you trouble, a Boiler is sure to help, although it will be less useful if both sides are moving forwards or back rapidly. In a pinch, it is still capable of defending itself with its acid spray, although it usually will require good support as they are physically weak and slow for a large caste.