From Colonial Marines Wiki
Researchers on the Colonial Marine space vessels and stations have different roles than similar jobs in the civilian sector. A researcher can do a variety of interesting things which can be broadly divided into: 1. Combat chemicals/medicine 2. Additional machinery and equipment upgrades 3. Items from xeno autopsies 4. Explosives. In order to do much of this fun stuff though, you will need to know how to upgrade the technology levels using the Destructive Analyzer, Protolathe, and Circuit Imprinter. You can put items into the Destructive Analyzer to increase levels while the Protolathe and Circuit Imprinter create items that can be deconstructed in the Analyzer.
- First link the devices to the R&D console
- Add 10 sheets of glass to the Circuit Imprinter and 10 sheets of glass to the Protolathe
- Add 20 sheets of metal to the Protolathe
- Add 120u of sulphuric acid to the Circuit Imprinter using a large glass beaker and the chemical dispenser in R&D
Analyze or make & analyze the following:
- Matter bin, micro-laser, and capacitor, 2 lengths of gauze from the NanoMed (break the stack into pieces) (DO NOT destroy the console screen)
- high-capacity power cell, Circuit Design (Arcade Machine), Gas Heating System Board, Autolathe Board, Exosuit Fabricator Board, Circuit Design (RUST fuel controller)
- mining drill, optical meson scanners, nanomanipulator, SUPERPACMAN-type Generator Board
- Circuit Design (PanD.E.M.I.C. 2200), large chem nade, Chem Sprayer
This should bring your research to the point where you can fabricate all the useful machine and computer boards (and their components), large chemical grenades for explosives, and various useful items (Health Scanner HUD, super-capacity power cell, basic laser scalpels, etc.). There are other ways to climb up the tech levels so after you get familiar with R&D feel free to optimize your own route to get to the items you want to make.
Research has its own chemistry lab that can be used to help out medical by pumping out useful healing chemicals. It is also possible to mix chemicals together to get multiple benefits; however, be aware that there are certain chemicals which will cause more harm if they are used together. Consult the chemistry guide for more details.
Machinery and equipment upgrades
The Researcher can fabricate items and construct machines and computers that can greatly help the marines and civilian staff on the Sulaco with their jobs.
Machines and Computers
An important piece of machinery that massively increases the Researcher's ability to do anything is an autolathe. You will want to get your hands on wire (ask an engineer, find some in crates you have access to, etc.) and save the console screen in R&D that is there from round start. Instructions for building an autolathe and other useful machines are listed below. You will want to have at least a screwdriver and a wrench for these (both are available in the toolbox in upper level Medbay in east medical storage).
|Machine||Materials Needed||Build order|
|Any Computer (Security, Crew Monitoring, etc.)||
Useful Items from the Autolathe & Protolathe
Some useful items that can be created using both the Protolathe and Autolathe are listed below (this list only includes items that solely require glass and metal since the availability of other materials is slim to none).
|Health Scanner HUD||Fabricating these can help standard marines better gauge their own health and keep better tabs on their squadmates||Protolathe|
|super-capacity power cell||These can be used by combat engineers to power their sentries for longer||Protolathe|
|large grenade casing||Used to create and house all the components for chemical grenades||Protolathe|
|Chem Sprayer||Allows area of effect application of beneficial or harmful chemicals in aerosol form||Protolathe|
|large glass beaker||Used to contain chemicals for use in large grenade casings||Autolathe|
|welding helmet||Doctors welding brute damage to cybernetic limbs will receive eye damage unless wearing this||Autolathe|
|surgery tools (scalpel, circular saw, retractor, cautery, hemostat)||Replacement surgery tool for if a doctor misplaces or loses one of these||Autolathe|
|explosive components (igniter, remote signaling device, timer, infrared sensor, proximity sensor)||These can all be used to help make different trigger mechanisms for chemical grenades; the proximity sensor can also be used to create Medibots||Autolathe (also vendor in Research)|
|Mining Drill||If marine command requires these for whatever reason, these can be constructed for the marines||Protolathe|
Another way Research can help busy doctors is by constructing Medibots. Medibots can inject injured personnel with either Tricordrazine from its internal synthesizer (infinite supply but max dosage of 15u) or chemicals from an inserted beaker. An empty medkit, a Health Scanner, a proximity sensor, and a cybernetic arm (each Operating Theater has a printer that can produce those) are needed to make a medibot.
- Empty out a medkit and insert a cybernetic arm (left or right) once the kit is empty
- Add a Health Scanner to the medibot frame, use a pen to rename the medibot at this point
- Add a Proximity Sensor to the medibot frame to complete the medical
- (Optional) Use your ID on the medibot to unlock options; turning the reporting option to on and lowering the treatment threshold to 5 are both recommended
The Weyland Brand Automatic Autopsy System(TM), Weyland Yutani Brand Organic Analyzer(TM), and Weyland Yutani Brand Bio-Organic Printer(TM) are the three main objects you'll interact with. If a Tier 1 or higher alien corpse is brought on board, move it to the lab and use the alien autopsy tool several times to extract as many materials as you can from each corpse. You only need to analyze 1 xeno item in order to get access to all current options.
|Item from Bio-Organic Printer||Required Items (from alien autopsies)||Use|
||Reinforces armor against brute damage but decreases user's speed while in that armor|
||Restores the facehugger-blocking properties of a marine helmet|
||Once applied, renders an item acid-proof (warning: trying to put this in a container will apply it to that container)|
One of the most dangerous things a Researcher can do is tinker with custom chemical grenades. The Protolathe should allow you to construct
TODO: fun explosive combos.
Biggest bang for your cheapest buck(et).
- After having made an autholate make twice as many buckets as many grenades you want (suprisingly they are much cheaper to make than large beakers especialy due to the avaliability of metal).
- Take half of the buckets upstairs, into one of the ORs and fill them all up with water from the sink (to save on Chemdispenser energy).
- Take the other half and fill it with juicy potasium from your Chemdispenser.
- Take all the timers/ingiters out of the Toximate, and if you still need more you can make some via your autholate. Screwdriver the igniters, then combine them together with the timers. After that screwdriver the timer/igniter assemblies and set the timer you want on them (2 seconds is advised).
- Put both a bucket of potasium and a bucket of water into a LARGE grenade casing. Then put your igniter/timer assembly into it, and finaly finish the nade by screwdrivering it.
- Give your cheaply made 8x8 nades to some competent marines, especialy to Grenade Launcher Specs. Then get boinked by admins because a retard blew up half a squad of marines.
Comprehensive Destructive Analyzer List
TODO: copy over template from Bay12 Destructive Analyzer page (it's very nicely formatted) but populate it with CM items